CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Our first sleep over

As I mentioned in my previous post, my parents are fostering 2 children.  We have been spending just about every weekend with them since they arrived. 

Most weekends they have come to us and we have spent the afternoons swimming, it has been great fun.

A the younger of the two is 3 and a half and has progressed to swimming around the pool with is water wings, he has been doing really well even doing bomb drops into the pool - he is quite brave!

Last weekend my parents had friends stay with them from Australia so G and I offered to take the kids for the weekend, our first official sleep over - yikes!

Friday morning, I drove through to my parents house to spend some time with their overseas guests and to pick up the kids when they have finished school.

M who is 7 was so excited, I don't think that she kept quiet for even one second on the drive home. 

I had my first official shopping trip with the 2 kids, all by myself! It didn't go to badly, I put A in the trolley and told M to walk next to me and hold onto the trolley.  It did however take me just over an hour to to a 20 minute shopping trip but we had fun and they were really good little helpers.

By the time we got home, G had arrived home from work. The 4 of us worked together and made some pizza's for supper.  We made popcorn and watched a bugs life together, the kids loved it.  It landed up being quite a late night with us only getting to bed at about 11pm.

G and I both had a terrible nights sleep, we put both kids in the room with us one of a mattress and the other on a bed made out of the cushions from our sofa.  Both of us woke up I don't know how many times during the night.

We survived our first night - whoo hoo! Even though we had sleep deprived eyes the next day!

Everyone was coming to our place the next evening for a braai, so the next morning G & M made us Jamie Oliver's breakfast pancakes while A and myself made meringue baskets which was part of our desert for our guests.

We all seemed to work quite well together and of course the best part about any sort of baking is cleaning the bowl and the beaters.
A of course LOVED this part as you can see in the photo


We spent the morning playing xbox and can you believe shopping again! Even though I had spent way more time at the shops that I was meant to the previous day I still forgot to get a few things.

The afternoon was spent with my parents and their friends, we swam and had a braai* made some cocktails and ate far to much food. It was a good day all round.

It was quite late when they left so the G, the kids and myself showered and got straight into bed.  We slept much better this time round. 

We survived our second night - yay!

Sunday, we made pancakes for breakfast. Played some xbox, (we are trying to teach them how to play) we then decided that instead of taking an afternoon nap we could all rest and watch a movie.
After that we went for a swim, possibly the most important swim of all!  A decided half way through that he didn't need his water wings anymore so he took them off, called G and said I want to touch the bottom of the pool!  He then proceeded to swim without them, even jumping into the pool to try touch the bottom, we were so proud of him!

With all good things they of course have to come to an end, we packed bags and headed off towards my mom's place to drop the kids off.  We spent a lovely evening with my mom and brother having dinner and just chatting and then headed home to get ready to start another week!

We survived our first sleep over - *jumps with excitement*

Can you believe it's February already, 24 day's till my 31st birthday - why oh why!

Till next time!
L

* Braai is the Afrikaans word for barbecue

1 comments:

Ginger

I'm amazed at how much of the American culture you have over there in Africa. :) I am learning so much about your own way of life over there and find it very enlightening!

I'm so glad you had a good weekend with the kids. We have talked of taking in foster children many times, but decided it would be best to wait until after we get our own kids raised first. You are going to make a wonderful mother someday!

PS - Don't worry about turning 31. It is a good age to be!

Post a Comment